Who We Serve
Referrals are accepted only from participating hospitals and only via the Monarch secure online referral system. Patients must
- be at least 18 years old
- have been discharged from a partner hospital within the past 30 days
- be medically stable/cleared for outpatient treatment
- have an evaluation by a medical or mental health provider that documents the need for outpatient mental health treatment
- have transportation to and from appointments
- agree to participate in outpatient health services
- be stable enough to wait to be seen by a mental health prescriber for at least 4 days after the date of the scheduled TCC intake appointment
- be stable enough to participate in a low intensity, outpatient clinical setting
- require <1 appointment/week with a prescriber
- need only low-intensity case management services
Referring providers are responsible for prescribing enough medication to ensure patients can wait at least 3 weeks for their first appointment with a psychiatrist or nurse practitioner.
Patients who already have mental health care in the community are not appropriate for referral to the TCC. The TCC treats patients who have no immediate access to an outpatient mental health provider.
The TCC does not require insurance. The clinic does accept most major insurances, including Medicare and Medicaid. We also accept CareLink. If you have insurance, this will be applied to your care. Our benefits specialists can discuss coverage with you.
Prescribers at the TCC typically do not treat clients whose primary psychiatric medication is a psychostimulant or benzodiazepine. TCC prescribers do not generally prescribe these classes of medications.
What diagnoses are accepted?
The TCC treats patients with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia spectrum disorders, unspecified psychosis, and other non-substance related diagnosis. Patients may have co-occurring substance-use diagnoses only if there is no acute need for detox/withdrawal symptoms.
Patients with a primary substance abuse diagnosis are better served by referral to a substance abuse clinic. For the patients’ benefit, we encourage discharge planners to contact the Center for Health Care Services (CHCS) COPS-D program at 210-261-3071 or the Be Well Texas Clinic at 833-778-2571 for more information on the choices for substance abuse treatment.
New clients attend Access Group, the TCC’s intake procedure. Access takes place every weekday, at 1 PM on Mondays and at 8:45 AM Tuesdays–Fridays. During Access, patients meet with a member of the TCC’s psychosocial staff for assessment. Clients will be scheduled with a psychiatrist within 1 to 3 weeks from the date of their TCC intake appointment. We cannot guarantee availability of appointments if referring providers do not prescribe sufficient medication.